Saturday 29 June 2013

Sunday Lunch, Thai Style, Bangkok, June 23rd 2013

The waterside community...

About 30 minutes is enough time to sweat it out with tourists at the Talin Chan market, time for a wander round and see what makes this community along the canal tick. Over the railway line and underneath the elevated highway to begin an exploration of a part of Bangkok far removed from its concrete jungles and metropolitan downtown. Concrete walkways above the marshland with a network of lanes leading off into some rather dark places. Sticking to the main route then trying not to upset the local hounds, tiptoeing my way towards a cluster of interestingly traditional looking properties.

Timber villas, small houses gives this place a nice traditional feel. houses, some several storeys high while others have seen better days and resemble little more than large sheds. clearly a poorer part of Bangkok - garbage control not the best I have to say. The occasional whiff of stale water mixes with the perfume of blooming bushes. The people here seem a little bemused at my interest in their community - I don't suppose too many tourists venture far from their well trodden paths. Time to move forward though as I seem to have upset a guard dog - and its on the loose!

Looks like a religious complex - temples encrusted with those jewel effect stones and ornate carvings suggest another place where monks hang out. A grand hall, rather noisy, seems to be a party going on. A few monks wandering around the place and plenty of food being prepared. Fish, herbs and various other bits and pieces being neatly prepared for the steamer. Good for a few photos, everyone is smiling. Perhaps if I hang around long enough!

Must be 200 people in this hall as I am beckoned in. Its an invitation to join in I think, yes it is as they find me a seat at a table with eight.middle aged Thai men. It's lunch time and all in honour of a brand new Monk, I am told. So, over lunch I am pretty much resigned to telling my life story - a small price to pay for this unique experience I would say!

And this is lunch with the locals...





First Course - Succulent steamed fish

Next Course -Tom Yam seafood

Squid, Shrimp among others and sugared egg

Next comes Seafood and Fried Rice

Finally, Coconut sweet milk and fruit Jellies














Add caption
























Whiskey 3.50 UK Pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment